Inspired by Walking Sculpture 1967–2015, approach concepts for walking paths incorporating ceramic sculpture or elements.
Session A: Thursdays,
Session B: Wednesdays, (6 sessions)
Open studio: available afterwards until 7 pm
$415 | $355 for Members
Plus firing and materials fee based on usage.
- Three weekly hours of demonstration and instruction in developing ceramic sculpture techniques and meeting technical challenges
- Individual guidance with personally-designed projects
- Introduction to working artists and fall installations in deCordova’s 30-acre Sculpture Park and indoor galleries for inspiration
- Discussion of relevant art and ceramics history and concepts
- Related presentations on ceramic art and spatial design, color, and painterly techniques in ceramics, and alternative approaches and concepts to ceramics and ceramic “art” in the environment. Discussion of the siting and context for outdoor ceramic work
- Four weekly hours of optional open studio time for participants to focus on building their projects and receiving additional support from the instructor
- Workshops are offered consecutively throughout the year for those engaged in longer-term projects.
- Tools for building work are provided. Participants are invited to bring their own hand tools as desired.
- Open studio time is included in the price of the workshop. No discount for those attending only instructional hours.
Firing fees and material costs are calculated by volume and will be charged at the end of each session.