Ceramic Sculpture Workshops:
Special Vessels and Designed Environments
- Session A: Wednesdays, June 11–July 9
- Session B: Wednesdays, July 23–August 20
Instruction: 1:30–4:30 pm
Open studio available until 8:30 pm
Cost: $345 | $295 for Members; plus firing and materials fee based on usage.
This course for the developing artist, homeowner, or design aficionado explores traditional techniques as well as bold new approaches to ceramics. For ages 19+. All experience levels welcome.
About the Course
Come and be inspired this summer by deCordova’s 30-acre Sculpture Park as you design and build unique ceramic sculpture for your home or garden.
A novel approach to working with clay and ceramics beyond classic pottery! This is a ceramic sculpture course for the unrealized or developing artist, homeowner, or design aficionado looking to enhance indoor or outdoor spaces with one’s own ceramic art, or striving for sculptural expression through one-of-a-kind vessels and sculpture. Lectures and demonstrations offer bold color concepts and painterly approaches to the ceramic surface in addition to more traditional clay techniques.
New concepts for ceramics in sustainable engagements with the landscape will be inspired by installations in deCordova’s 30-acre Sculpture Park. Narrative and text application techniques will be offered using inspiration from the summer’s indoor/outdoor exhibitions of the work of renowned artists Ian Hamilton Finlay and Lesley Dill. Contemporary avenues and modes for expression in clay are explored and encouraged and are drawn from a variety of examples set forth by artists in the ceramic field as well as in other sculptural mediums.
- Three weekly hours of demonstration and instruction in developing ceramic sculpture techniques and meeting technical challenges
- Individual guidance with personally-designed projects
- Introduction to working artists and summer installations in deCordova’s 30-acre Sculpture Park and indoor galleries for inspiration
- Discussion of relevant art and ceramics history and concepts
- Related presentations on ceramic art and spatial design, color, and painterly techniques in ceramics, and alternative approaches and concepts to ceramics and ceramic “art” in the environmentiscussion of the siting and context for outdoor ceramic work
- Four weekly hours of optional open studio time for participants to focus on building their projects and receiving additional support from the instructor
Workshops are offered consecutively during the year and summer for those engaged in longer-term projects.
All levels welcome. No ceramic experience necessary.
Tools for building your work are provided. Participants are invited to bring their own hand tools as desired.
Firing fees and material costs are calculated by volume and will be charged at the end of each session.
Open studio time is included in the price of the workshop (no discount for those attending only instructional hours).
Poetic Ceramics Workshop
Date: Thursday, July 31, 6:30–8:30 pm
Cost: $40 for not-yet-members / $30 for Members
This evening workshop led by exhibiting artist Bruce Barry is inspired by works on view in Ian Hamilton Finlay and Language as Inspiration. Participate in a creative writing exercise (molded clay tablatures and stones provided), build a communal poetry garden of stepping stones in the Sculpture Park, and create your own language work in clay.
No ceramic experience is necessary. Snacks and drinks provided.