Winter Ceramics Sessions
Open studio: available afterwards until 5 pm
Session 3A: 6 early Winter workshops
Wednesdays, January 6-February 10
Session 3B: 6 early Winter workshops
Thursdays, January 7-February 11
Session 4A: 6 late Winter workshops
Wednesdays, March 2-April 6
Session 4B: 6 late Winter workshops
Thursdays, March 3-April 7
$415 | $355 for Members
Plus firing and materials fee based on usage.
About the course
All levels welcome. No ceramic experience necessary. For ages 16+.
These courses for the developing artist, homeowner, or design aficionado explore traditional techniques as well as new approaches to ceramics. Lectures and demonstrations offer bold color concepts and painterly approaches to the ceramic surface in addition to more traditional clay techniques.
- Three weekly hours of demonstration and instruction in developing ceramic sculpture techniques and meeting technical challenges
- Individual guidance with personally-designed projects
- Introduction to working artists and fall installations in deCordova’s 30-acre Sculpture Park and indoor galleries for inspiration
- Discussion of relevant art and ceramics history and concepts
- Related presentations on ceramic art and spatial design, color, and painterly techniques in ceramics, and alternative approaches and concepts to ceramics and ceramic “art” in the environment. Discussion of the siting and context for outdoor ceramic work
- Four weekly hours of optional open studio time for participants to focus on building their projects and receiving additional support from the instructor
- Workshops are offered consecutively throughout the year for those engaged in longer-term projects.
- Tools for building work are provided. Participants are invited to bring their own hand tools as desired.
- Open studio time is included in the price of the workshop. No discount for those attending only instructional hours.
Firing fees and material costs are calculated by volume and will be charged at the end of each session.